I figured it might be nice to do a few updates between posts to fill you all in on some of my favorite healthy habits throughout the year. So here is the first Quarterly update 🙂
Now that I am finally more settled in to my new home I have begun to run more consistently. Something I honestly dreaded doing last year has now become an enjoyable experience. Two of my favorite trails at the moment are: Peter’s Canyon Regional Park and the Upper Newport Bay Nature Reserve. I have gone to these numerous times this year and I like them for the convenience that they are so close to me. Due to my prior knee injuries running on a trail is much better because of its softness rather than concrete. Also, because they are not flat surfaces I feel a more intense workout on my legs which is a big plus for me. Currently I have ran my quickest mile at about 8.5 minutes and my goal is to get it down to 7 by summer. Sometimes I do feel like taking it easy and just jogging and on those days I add jumping squats, walking lunges with kickback and frog jumps to give my gluteus an extra boost.
In addition, I celebrated by 26th birthday on March 18. A few of my cousins joined me on the Mt. Woodson Hike aka home of the Potato Chip Rock in Poway. It was a very enjoyable approximately 5 hour roundtrip hike with a fun photo opp at the top of the mountain. If you’re thinking of doing this hike here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- it’s rated an intermediate-type hike
- start the hike as early as you can
- bring plenty of water
- wear comfortable sport shoes with a good grip
- apply sunscreen and have a hat – the sun will hit you directly
- have snacks with you
- bring a sandwich to enjoy while you wait to take a picture
- take your time walking up and down the mountain – HAVE FUN!
As promised if you follow me on snapchat (@ alybobally) I have the green juice recipe I have been obsessed with these past few months. I honestly have been drinking it almost every single day and it is absolutely delicious.
The recipe is as follows:
- Big handful of Kale or power greens
- small bits of strawberries, pineapples, and mango.
- on days I work out I also add pea protein powder
- add water, blend and enjoy!
- TIP: I typically snooze a million times before work in the morning so what I do is prep this the night before and let sit in the freezer and then pour water and blend it at work the next day. You can also make a few pre-made ones in sandwich baggies and keep them in the freezer so they’re easy to grab and make
This is a super easy recipe perfect for spring and though it is rich with greens the fruit adds just the perfect amount of sweetness to it. Also, if you’re buying frozen fruits – as I have – still read the ingredients. You’ll be surprised to find some try and add sugar.
Some key benefits to the ingredients I used for this green juice are:
- high in iron
- high in vitamin K – which protects against various cancers
- high in vitamin A – great for your vision, skin
- high in vitamin C – helpful for your immune system, metabolism, and hydration
- high in calcium – this is especially great news for my lactose-intolerant friends
- calcium aids in preventing bone loss & prevents osteoporosis
- filled with powerful antioxidants
- great anti-inflammatory and detox food
- low in calories, high in fiber
- high in vitamin C
- promotes eye health due to its antioxidant properties
- helps produce collagen which improves the skins elasticity
- fights bad cholesterol
- reduces inflammation
- regulates blood pressure
- great source of vitamin C
- promotes bone strength
- blood-clot reduction
- helps fight against the common cold and sinus inflammation
- prevents cancer
- lowers cholesterol
- clears the skin
- improves eye health
- may help with diabetes
- improves digestion
- boosts the immune system
What’s great about green juices is you can really play around with different ingredients.
I will write a post soon on a few do’s and don’ts of green juicing because there are some important things to keep in mind when introducing them to your everyday routine. I’ll add a few more recipes as well! But for now, I hope you all enjoyed this little update 🙂