I’m so excited to share another kid-friendly recipe. This time I wanted to share a substitute to a favorite snack – the Rice Crispy Treat. Traditionally it requires sugar, marshmallows, cereal, butter, and probably more sugar but the recipe I found requires no artificial sugar, no butter and no marshmallows but still tastes absolutely delicious!
I decided to put this recipe to the test and had my 8-year-old brother help me. The great thing about inviting kids to help with making something is how excited they get to be a part of it all. It teaches them about measurements, how ingredients mix together, and after they get to eat the tasty treat they helped make, you can see just how satisfied they are knowing they helped too.
Moments with my little brother are always my favorite because I know he’ll grow up before I know it and I hope that by teaching him how to make things will inspire him to make healthier choices for years to come. My mom also does an amazing job at always having fruits and vegetables as snacks in the house instead of sweets. Fun fact: because he didn’t have candy or artificial sugars as a baby, he doesn’t care for them to this day.
This recipe is kid-friendly but even adults love them!
- 2 Cups crispy-rice cereal (gluten free works as well)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup sticky sweetener of choice
What to do:
- Line backing tray with baking paper, set aside
- in a large mixing bowl, add the rice crispy cereal
- using the stovetop or a microwave, melt your nut butter with your sticky sweetner and then pour the mixture
- pour mixture into the lined baking tray and press firmly into place
- refrigerate for about 30 minutes before eating
- cut them up and enjoy
I hope you try this and I hope you love them as much as we did! Most importantly, have fun!